COPD is a Serious Problem Health Problem
- COPD is the fourth leading cause of death in the US.
- In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 smokers could not identify COPD as a top-five killer.
- In 2002, about 125,000 people died of COPD.
- While other chronic health diseases such as heart disease and diabetes have decreased in the past 20 years, COPD rates have steadily increased.
- In a recent survey 66% of Americans did not know that COPD kills more women than men.
- COPD will continue to be a major health problem in the future. By, 2020, COPD will become the third leading cause of death in the United States.