Care of Equipment
The home medical equipment and services company that provides the oxygen therapy equipment you use should provide you with instructions on user care and maintenance of your equipment.
General Guidelines for Cleaning
- You should wash your nasal cannula (prongs) with a liquid soap and thoroughly rinse them once or twice a week.
- Replace cannulas every two to four weeks.
- If you have a cold, change cannula when your cold symptoms have passed.
- If you use an oxygen concentrator, unplug the unit, then wipe down the cabinet with a damp cloth and dry it daily.
- The air filter should be cleaned at least weekly.
- Your home medical equipment and services company should inspect the unit on a periodic basis; call the company if you suspect any problems with your equipment.